Friday, January 30, 2015

Jumping for June in January

Anybody who knew me at this time last year knows that I was so excited I would be experiencing a true midwest winter right now. A winter filled with snowfall, salt on the ground, Willie the Wildcat snowmen, chilling teeth chattering temperatures, and my heater on high all the time. I would spend each day last year telling myself I am not allowed to call 45 degrees cold because I would soon experience 4 degree weather. I prepared myself to the best of my Californian ability by wearing thin clothes back home as though that would be any help at all to my halfway across the country move. And I was pumped.

Well, let me tell you something. We now have about a day and a half left of January, and I have walked around campus to see people in shorts playing basketball, students in short sleeves walking to class, and citizens jogging around Manhattan! In J.a.n.u.a.r.y! Why yes, my first winter in Kansas has actually had days here that are warmer than back home in "sunshiny" Los Banos, California!

Throughout these winter months I have experienced just two snowfalls. One snowfall where the "snow" melted as soon as it hit the ground, and one snowfall where I moved back home for winter break the day after. And yes, that has been my extreme midwest winter.
Now maybe I am  jinxing myself and next week we will probably see the biggest blizzard to hit the Little Apple, but hey, at least I have a pair of nice gloves and warm headbands that I got for Christmas! I am "totally" prepared. Or another scenario, maybe I'll come back next fall in August ready for a few warm humid weeks and I'll be welcomed with Christmas in summer or something like that. In Kansas, you never know what you're going to get! But I can attest to the fact that there really is no place like home. :)

Living a life of purple, passion, progress, and purpose,

Kaitlyn Alanis

No comments:

Post a Comment